Tuesday, February 12, 2013

In the Shadows of having a Natural

Is it just me or is being natural hold as much social pressure as having a weave. Its like having natural hair puts you into a "conscious" crowd. Others expect you to smoke weed, wear natural oils, only listen to cultural sounds, and mediate three times a day. Don't go somewhere and you want to eat some fish or meat, take a drink, bum a square or know the lastest ratchet sound on the radio. I'm told "I THOUGHT YOU WERE NATURAL." What the hell?

When I cut my hair in high school, I was just tired of getting a perm. I figured it was easier to manage with it all gone. Its been 11 years and I've played with a press, color, braids and wigs. I'm not a vanity fair women so i can go a few days without even picking my Teenie Weenie Afro. I naturally am not into hair like that or my image. I have my spurts. So, I go with how i feel. Isn't that the purpose of natural? BE YOU, DO YOU. I'm confused cause I feel like I am under the same beauty microscope as having a perm. I just didn't think when i crossed over it would hold so much judgement and scrutiny. I'm not gonna lie, I assumed natural people held some higher morale code.

But in the great words of Andre 3000 " Everyone with dreds ain't for the cause, and everyone with perms ain't for the fall." Be cool with your extentions, s-curl, afro, mohawk, hot pink highlights. I remind myself to know myself and know that being natural is being me, as long as I don't harm anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment