Saturday, February 2, 2013

When It's Cold Outside Who Are You Holding... My "Coldest Winter Ever" Experience

It was raining in ATL the other day. And the wind wasn’t playing around. I decided to take a “day off” and lay in my bed all day to read Sistah Souljah’s “Coldest Winter Ever”. My cousin in Chicago had posted on her fb page that she was reading it so I told her I will tag along and read it too. It took two weeks to get a copy at my neighborhood library. When the librarian scanned it for me he said “wow you got a copy, this book is hard to come by, it’s always checked out.” That reassured me that I was in for a juicy read. So from 8am till 7am the next morning I couldn’t put the book down. Now don’t think I’m a bad mother. I did stop to make meals, read to the kids, give them a bath and use the restroom. LOL. I was glued to it. I’m not gonna lie, I was jumping on trains with Winter and even knew when she was acting a fool before she did. That book had me going through some thangs, not to mention the rain seemed to bring it on. I had to take breaks and even found myself crying, replaying my own drunk and high nights as a young woman. I’ve never been in any robberies, fights or drug exchanges but the energy of the happenings in the book sent me on my own experience retrievals. Adventures I had stored away started popping back up. Moments I realized had lessons and was merely divine interventions. That book did more for me than I had imagined. It made me look in the mirror and review my life, my recent seasons and how I am handling myself. Am I operating from loss? Fear? Or love? I noticed this morning Copper hid the book; I guess he figures that was enough of mommy reading for one day. 



1 comment: