Tuesday, February 12, 2013

You can always go, Downtown!

Last night the children and I had a good lil time in downtown Atlanta. A great friend of mine named Tammie Jenkins has two beautiful intelligent daughters.  Check them out on FB. The eldest participated in the August Wilson Monologue Competition at the Rialto Theater. The children and I made it right on time to to hear the talented teens. Copper was in awe as the high schoolers recited their pieces. No one can tell me that our youth are lost. Last night everyone exemplified leadership and creativity. I was impressed and happy to be amongst such proud parents and educated minds. My toddlers sat through 12 monologues and decided to leave. Hehe. I thought they did an excellent job sitting quietly. Oh and Anais made it to the finals which will be on Feb 25th at the Southwest Arts Center.

So off we went to the lobby. There was a beautiful exhibit of Cultural New Orleans: Pre and Post Katrina. The children were amazed by the colors; as was I. The African and Native spirit in many of the pics opened my mind to a new view of New Orleans. The children's grands are from there and my great grands migrated from there to Chicago. New Orleans is definitely on our list of places to go. The exhibit is free and open to the public, Take a Look.


 I decided it was time to leave once the chicks attention went to running around the open lobby. We all held hands and strolled to our car on Broad St. We made a lil detour into one of GSU's  building. The big glass windows attracted us. We walked quietly as students studied. The staircases going up and down were huge to me, I imagine they were gigantic for the babies. Copper was the brave one to look down through the rails. It was a long drop to the bottom floor. We scurried out once a security guard started approaching. I am sure we weren't part of the usual setting. But I think we added some life to the study party. Copper pointed across the street to the Woodruff Park water wall and pool. He said "let's go see what it is". As we got closer, Ami guessed what it was "Water". They got so happy and ran ahead to get a good look.  The wall of water and pool was so relaxing. Copper and Ami were so tickled. You know children are fascinated with water. 
admiring the relaxing 
wall of water at woodruff park


Going down Peters St. Copper remembers my lobby cop friend Bob. So we take a detour and head to City Hall East to pay Bob a visit. Bob is a retired Lt. from APD. We met at one of my jobs after college. Bob is a funny funny man with a big heart. He decided to give us a history tour of the building. We ended in the city council chambers. Not sure if it was a breech of security but we had  fun playing on the president's mic. I told the children "this is where decisions are made for the city."

We had so much fun and the children were exposed to art, architecture and civics. Who would have thought that our trip to downtown would have brought so much laughter and joy? Honestly, i was a little anxious about the adventure. Thought the trip would tax my nerves, but it was actually invigorating and inspiring. I am so proud of my little people and happy to be there caregiver. I look forward to our adventures to come. Sometimes I miss my "child free" times but last night I realized that my life is full of laughter, love and excitement. 
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment